Vegetarian Thanksgiving Tacos
As a longtime vegetarian, I often get asked what I eat besides a salad. In America, our diets involve meat so much that it can be hard to think outside the box to how much other cuisine is out there that doesn’t involve meat! Especially around the holidays, I get asked tips for what people can serve at holiday dinners to accommodate vegetarian guests. Thanksgiving, there’s of course many soy-based imitation turkey products–which I absolutely love, but I know often vegetarians are looking for a soy-free, more plant-based option.
I went into my kitchen to brainstorm what a good Thanksgiving vegetarian entree might be, and living in Southern California where we have Mexican food frequently, I thought of vegetarian Thanksgiving tacos! The best part? They’re super easy to make.
Makes 4 tacos
- 8 Corn tortillas
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 can of no-sugar added whole cranberries
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1/4 cup of grapeseed or avocado oil
- 1 lime or 1 large squeeze of lime juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Lay your sweet potato on its side, and slice in 1/4 inch thick slices lengthwise. You can do this either with a knife, or mandeline.
2. In a bowl, mix together your oil and lime juice, with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
3. Tear pieces of kale off your bunch (you just want the leaves, not the stems). Place in a wok or sautee pan with a drizzle of high heat oil (like grapeseed or avocado), and cook on medium heat. Toss your kale occassionally, cooking till just slightly crispy (but not burnt).
4. Dip your sweet potato slices to coat them in the oil mixture. Either cook for 2 minutes on each side (or until tender) in a grill pan or on the BBQ.
5. Place 1-2 sweet potato wedges into two corn tortillas. Then place the amount of kale you desire on your tacos. Feel free to top with cilantro.
6. Open up your can of cranberries, you will use about 1/3 can if making four tacos. In a small bowl, mix your cranberries along with a squeeze of lime juice and 6 torn cilantro leaves. You can use this cranberry cilantro sauce either on your taco or to dip on the side.
There you have it! Vegetarian Thanksgiving Tacos. I would love to hear what some of your favorite vegetarian Thanksgiving dishes are!