This weekend Disney Family is having a gingerbread themed #DisneyWeekend! To play along, I made healthy Big Hero 6 gingerbread cookies that are inspired by Honey Lemon’s purse. I have always loved the film Big Hero 6, and have started watching Big Hero 6 the TV series on Disney XD with my daughter, which has made her obsessed with all thing Big Hero 6! She particularly loves Honey Lemon (because my daughter is a little fashionista). With Honey Lemon’s purse handle seeming reminiscent of gum drops, I thought it would be perfect to make her purse into gingerbread cookies, with gumdrops on her purse handle, and a frosting heart!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of baking powder
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Refrigerated coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Combine all your dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine all your other cookie ingredients.
- Combine your wet and dry ingredients well, and then cover and place in the refrigerator for an hour to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place your dough on a cutting board lined with parchment paper. Add another layer of parchment paper on top, so your dough is sandwiched in between.
- Roll your dough out so it’s 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a small knife to cut the shape of a purse (make sure the handle is wide enough to hold the gumdrops).
- Bake 9-10 minutes. Allow cookies to thoroughly cool before decorating.
- Once ready to decorate, place refrigerated can of coconut cream, vanilla, and sugar in a bowl and mix together (an electric mixer works best).
- Place in a piping bag with a number 3 tip, and pipe on a heart on each cookie.
- Next, pipe on frosting on the purse handles, placing gumdrops on top to decorate.
- Serve and enjoy!