Healthy Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
I’m back with more pumpkin! I can’t help it, fall is one of my favorite times of year and have to get all the pumpkin goodies I can find! I am absolutely head over heels for pumpkin cream cheese muffins, so I did some experimentation in the kitchen to come up with a recipe for healthy pumpkin cream cheese muffins! These are refined sugar-free, and full of nutritious grains and natural pumpkin. These are perfect for a breakfast full of nutrient-dense grains and protein, or a snack on-the-go! I know I’m planning on bringing them on the plane with me for an upcoming trip.
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vanilla plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat or coconut flour
- 2 tsp pumpkin extract (or 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice)
- 1 tsp cinnamon or an additional tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Optional: 1/2 cup walnuts
- Cream Cheese Filling
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or vegan cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 T honey or maple syrup
1. Preheat your oven to 325 F. Mix your dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Mix your wet muffin ingredients together in a separate bowl.
3. Combine both your wet and dry mixtures, combining well. Taste your batter to see if it’s as sweet to your liking. If you want to sweeten more, add a little bit of honey or maple syrup until it is to your liking.
4. Grease a one-dozen muffin tin (or loaf pan if you want to make bread instead of muffins) with coconut oil. Fill your muffin tin with your batter evenly.
5. Mix your cream cheese, vanilla extract, and honey or maple syrup. Put about a 1/2 tablespoon on top of the muffin batter. I put my dollops on in a Mickey shape!
6. Place in oven for 30-35 minutes, and allow to cool 10 minutes. Enjoy!