There’s nothing that says Christmas like a peppermint-flavored dessert! I for one am obsessed with anything that’s chocolate and peppermint! Recently, my friend Melanie and I co-hosted a KEEP holiday party, a fun afternoon with girlfriends designing jewelry, sipping wine, and eating delicious food. A new recipe I made just for the occassion is a vegan peppermint brownie. This peppermint brownie is super fudgy, and perfect for a dark chocolate lover!
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 tsp 100% maple syrup
- 1 tsp peppermint extract (or vanilla extract, but won’t turn out with as strong of a peppermint flavor)
- 1 very ripe mashed banana
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Crushed candy canes (about 2)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Whisk together your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together your applesauce, milk, maple syrup, extract, banana, and oil.
- Pour your wet mixture into your flour mixture, combining with a rubber spatula.
- Spray a brownie pan or cupcake tin with coconut oil, and place your brownie mixture in.
- Sprinkle your brownies with your crushed candy canes, and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then serve and enjoy!
For an even more decadent vegan dessert, I served these brownies with Trader Joe’s new coconut whipped cream, along with some more crushed candy cane pieces.