Trader Sam’s has got to be one of my favorite hangouts at the Disneyland Resort! With it being tucked away among palm trees by the Disneyland Hotel, it feels somewhat of a Disney fan’s secret hideout. It’s the perfect place for the adult Disney geek, with lots of Jungle Cruise shout-outs in the drink names and decor. The atmosphere is perfect, with a tiki oasis on the inside, and the feeling you’re on a Polynesian outside, with live singers and ukulele players and tiki torches on the patio.
One of my favorite cocktails to get at Trader Sam’s is the Shipwreck on the Rocks (which also comes with a souvenir glass). The Shipwreck on the Rocks is whiskey, agave nectar, lemon juice, and mint. Often whiskey drinks taste very strong, but this drink is cool and refreshing!
For when you can’t go to Trader Sam’s, here is my copycat recipe for a Shipwreck on the Rocks:
- Tear apart 10-12 mint leaves, place on the bottom of a glass with a tablespoon of agave nectar.
- Using a muddler or back end of a wooden spoon, muddle the mint leaves with the agave.
- In a cocktail shaker, mix 2 shots of whiskey (80 proof is less calories than 100 proof), 1/2 a shot of agave nectar, and one shot of fresh lemon juice.
- Pour your cocktail mixture over ice in your glass, and top with a few more sprigs of mint. Top with diet tonic water if you want something with a lighter taste or with bubbles.
- Taste and add more lemon juice and/or agave to fit your taste preference. Enjoy!
I love that this drink is sweetened and flavored with natural ingredients, and is so simple to replicate! I hope you enjoy this Disney cocktail over the weekend while you’re daydreaming of being at Disney!