If you couldn’t already tell from The Lion King themed party I recently had, I am really excited for The Lion King to come to theatres! To celebrate , I decided to start the weekend off with some healthy chocolate pancakes modeled after the Pumbaa Emoji from Disney’s Emoji Blitz game!
-1 cup white whole wheat flour
-1 Tbsp cocoa powder
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-Pinch of salt
-1 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
-2/3 cup skim milk
-1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
-1/4 cup applesauce
-Strawberry cream cheese
-Semi sweet dark chocolate chips
-1 tsp melted coconut oil
1. Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, cocoa powder, and baking soda.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, milk, maple syrup, applesauce, and coconut oi.
3. Coat the bottom of a pan with oil, and place your batter in the shape of Pumbaa‘s head, and place two smaller amounts of batter in the shape of Pumbaa‘s ears. (The batter is very thick, so it’s easy to form the shape you like with the edge of a spoon or spatula). Or if you prefer, make two large pancakes and cut the shapes out after your pancake is cooked.
4. Cook on medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
5. Cut a small banana in slices and place them in the shape of Pumbaa‘s tusks.
6. In a piping bag with a large round piping tip, pipe on strawberry cream cheese for Pumba‘s nose and part of his ears.
7. Melt dark chocolate with your coconut oil in the microwave or on the stovetop, and pipe on using a small round baking tip for Pumbaa‘s eyes and hair.
8. Serve and enjoy!
I would love for you to Tweet or Instagram tag me in how you’re celebrating The Lion King this weekend! Hakuna Matata!