I personally don’t think there’s any research as fun as Disney food research! Well, because it involves two of my favorite things: Disney and food! This week, my healthy eating guide where I explore vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian, and healthy eating options in general is focused on California Adventure Park’s Smokejumpers Grill.
For those who haven’t checked out the re-model, Smokejumpers Grill overtook what used to be called Taste Pilots, located next to Soarin’. Instead of just aviation-themed, Smokejumpers is a combination of aviation and National Parks decor.
I just love the vintage look of Smokejumpers! Now with Smokejumpers being primarily a burger joint, you may think it is a no-go for healthy eating. However, it is actually one of the most accommodating, customizable options for dietary restrictions and preferences (and everything there is completely peanut/tree nut free, since they don’t use any of those types of products in their prep line at Smokejumpers). Take a look for yourself:
KEY OF COLORS:
- Make it healthier
- Vegan or vegetarian
- Other customization
Healthy Eating Options: Smokejumpers Grill
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich This is my ultimate top pick for Smokejumpers healthy food. I LOVE this new addition! Even if you aren’t vegetarian or vegan, this sandwich has a great texture and smokey BBQ taste.
- To my surprise, the bun is vegan! I even asked to look at the nutritional facts for the bun before hand and verified it.
- Allergy-Friendly Bun: Order the allergy-friendly bun if you want a vegan, wheat-free, soy-free AND gluten-free bun.
- You also have the option to hold the bun, and just eat it with a fork for pure protein.
- The cheese is healthy, very light! Obviously hold-the-cheese if you’re going vegan. The cheese is also gluten-free.
- Make it healthier: You can order coleslaw, carrot sticks, or apple slices as your side instead of fries.
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich: The grilled chicken sandwich, when ordered on an Allergy-Friendly bun or lettuce wrap is gluten-free and wheat-free, soy-free, milk-allergy friendly and also egg allergy-friendly!
- Instead of fries, order with coleslaw, apple slices, or carrot sticks.
- If you want no bread, you can order as a lettuce wrap or just ask for a grilled chicken patty (no bun) and pile it high with tasty pickles and tomatoes!
- Hamburger: This can be made healthier if using just mustard and veggies, not other condiments. Also serve on the side with carrots, coleslaw, or apples.
- For the bun, either ditch it and have a lettuce wrap, or order an Allergy-friendly bun to make it gluten-free, wheat-free, soy-free, and milk-free.
- The regular bun is vegan, but it does have wheat and gluten.
- Kids Meals:
- The Hamburger is the best choice, but instead of receiving carrots and a Danimals Smoothie (which is full of refined sugar), order carrots and apple slices instead.
- You can order the allergy-friendly bun for a kids burger as well!
So to give you a brief re-cap of the most important things to remember when eating at Smokejumpers Grill, are:
- The buns itself are vegan, but are not gluten-free or wheat-free.
- The Allergy friendly bun is vegan, gluten-free, wheat-free, and soy-free!
- You can order burgers as lettuce wraps
- You can get carrots, apples, or coleslaw as a side.
- Mustard is the healthiest condiment, the others….not so much.
- You can order a plain grilled chicken breast, instead of a grilled chicken sandwich.
- The BBQ Jackfruit sandwich and the grilled chicken breast/sandwich with the allergy-friendly buns, and fruit or carrots as the side are the healthiest of options.
There you have it! What Disneyland or Disney California Adventure Park restaurant healthy eating options would you like to see me research next?