I personally don’t think there’s any research as fun as Disney food research! Well, because it involves two of my favorite things: Disney and food! This week, my healthy eating guide where I explore vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian, and healthy eating options in general is focused on California Adventure Park’s Smokejumpers Grill.
For those who haven’t checked out the re-model, Smokejumpers Grill overtook what used to be called Taste Pilots, located next to Soarin’. Instead of just aviation-themed, Smokejumpers is a combination of aviation and National Parks decor.
I just love the vintage look of Smokejumpers! Now with Smokejumpers being primarily a burger joint, you may think it is a no-go for healthy eating. However, it is actually one of the most accommodating, customizable options for dietary restrictions and preferences (and everything there is completely peanut/tree nut free, since they don’t use any of those types of products in their prep line at Smokejumpers). Take a look for yourself:
KEY OF COLORS:
- Make it healthier
- Vegan or vegetarian
- Other customization
Healthy Eating Options: Smokejumpers Grill
- Veggie Burger: This is my ultimate top pick for Smokejumpers healthy food. Even if you aren’t vegetarian or vegan, the patty is less veggie-like and more protein-like (like a Boca burger). You can pile this high full of veggies at the burger toppings bar.
- To my surprise, the bun is vegan! I even asked to look at the nutritional facts for the bun before hand and verified it.
- Allergy-Friendly Bun: Order the allergy-friendly bun if you want a vegan, wheat-free, soy-free AND gluten-free bun.
- You also have the option to hold the bun, and have a lettuce wrap.
- The cheese is healthy, very light! Obviously hold-the-cheese if you’re going vegan. The cheese is also gluten-free.
- Make it healthier: You can order coleslaw, carrot sticks, or apple slices as your side instead of fries.
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich: The grilled chicken sandwich, when ordered on an Allergy-Friendly bun or lettuce wrap is gluten-free and wheat-free, soy-free, milk-allergy friendly and also egg allergy-friendly!
- Instead of fries, order with coleslaw, apple slices, or carrot sticks.
- If you want no bread, you can order as a lettuce wrap or just ask for a grilled chicken patty (no bun) and pile it high with tasty pickles and tomatoes!
- Hamburger: This can be made healthier if using just mustard and veggies, not other condiments. Also serve on the side with carrots, coleslaw, or apples.
- For the bun, either ditch it and have a lettuce wrap, or order an Allergy-friendly bun to make it gluten-free, wheat-free, soy-free, and milk-free.
- The regular bun is vegan, but it does have wheat and gluten.
- Kids Meals:
- The Hamburger is the best choice, but instead of receiving carrots and a Danimals Smoothie (which is full of refined sugar), order carrots and apple slices instead.
- You can order the allergy-friendly bun for a kids burger as well!
So to give you a brief re-cap of the most important things to remember when eating at Smokejumpers Grill, are:
- The buns itself are vegan, but are not gluten-free or wheat-free.
- The Allergy friendly bun is vegan, gluten-free, wheat-free, and soy-free!
- You can order burgers as lettuce wraps
- You can get carrots, apples, or coleslaw as a side.
- Mustard is the healthiest condiment, the others….not so much.
- You can order a plain grilled chicken breast, instead of a grilled chicken sandwich.
- The veggie burger and the grilled chicken breast/sandwich are the healthiest of options.
There you have it! What Disneyland or Disney California Adventure Park restaurant healthy eating options would you like to see me research next?