Do you remember the special cake Merida got from the witch’s cottage in Pixar’s Brave? I decided to re-create it! Although it may not have tasted great in the movie, it was absolutely adorable! So I just had to make a replica of it, but one that is a delicious blueberry breakfast cake, that looks just like the cake Merida got from the witch’s cottage.
Makes 1 dozen
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 4 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 4 Tbsp cup milk
- 4 Tbsp cup light sour cream (or greek yogurt)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together your flour, cinnamon, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla, milk, and mashed banana.
- Combine both bowls together until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour batter into muffin tins, and bake 15-17 minutes.
- Once the breakfast cakes are removed from the oven and completely cooled, using either a spoon or a small circle cookie cutter, cut out a circle shape out of each of the muffins, creating a hole that only goes halfway down through the cake.
- In the holes you just made, dish blueberry preserves to fill.
- Serve and enjoy!